Staying healthy by eating healthier snacks doesn't mean those snacks have to be boring. The key is to keep healthy snacks on hand so you have something healthy to reach for when you feel a snack attack coming on. You can even indulge in your favorite treats, just choose healthier options. For example, baked potato chips have fewer calories but all the flavor of regular chips. If you're a cookie monster, buy cookies in prepackaged 100-calorie servings. When you need a chocolate fix, savor a few dark chocolate Hershey kisses or try one of the new Skinny Cow candy bars. Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers ice cream bars are a delicious substitute for high-calorie ice cream.
When you snack, think about what you're putting in your mouth. Its mindless snacking that packs on the pounds, nutritionists warn. Next time you have a snack attack, instead of reaching for chips or candy, try one of these quick and easy healthy snacks:
- Instead of a bagel, spread low-fat cream cheese over a toasted whole wheat English muffin. Dress it up with sliced green olives or half a slice of shaved smoked turkey.
- Dip baby carrots and celery sticks in hummus instead of sour cream veggie dip.
- Boost the flavor of air-popped popcorn with a light sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Craving something crunchy? Spread celery sticks with a little crunchy peanut butter.
- Substitute multigrain pita chips and hummus for chips and dip.
- Sprinkle blueberries over fat-free Greek yogurt for a creamy treat.
- For a sweet treat, roll thick banana slices in cocoa powder and sprinkle with unsweetened toasted coconut.
- Mix together granola, dried fruit and nuts in a bag for an on-the-go snack.
- Roll Monterey Jack cheese into a whole-wheat tortilla and dip in salsa.
- Wrap Colby Jack cheese around spears of asparagus
Whats your favorite healthy snack? Share with us in the comments below!