Many empty-nesters find it hard to get excited about cooking for themselves (see our previous post). Instead of preparing well-balanced, nutritious meals, they wind up filling up on snacks or dining out. And when you do cook for yourself, there's the issue of leftovers. Who wants to eat the same thing three nights in a row?
Cooking doesn't have to be chore and menus needn't be boring if you're a solo diner or couple. Follow these tips to rediscover the joy of home cooking:
- Pour some wine and make meal preparation quality together time. If you're single, invite a friend or neighbor to share your meal.
- Plan menus before you shop. Having the right ingredients on hand and knowing what you're going to prepare is half the battle.
- To prevent spoilage and waste, use the most perishable items first.
- Choose foods that can do double duty so you can get several meals from one prep session. For example, a roast chicken can be sliced and served with fresh vegetables one night; chunked for chicken fajitas later in the week; and diced and frozen for use in a pot pie or casserole the following week.
- Kick up the flavor of chicken, pork, and fish by rubbing with a combination of your favorite spices before cooking.
- Rediscover your slow cooker. Toss in ingredients for soup or stew. Turn it on and come home to a great meal!
- Boost nutrition by tossing chopped veggies into pasta, rice, and couscous.
- Solve the leftover problem by inviting friends to a potluck dinner. Provide the main course and ask your friends to bring the appetizers, sides, and dessert.
Need a recipe to get your started? Try asparagus n Shrimp with Angel Hair from Taste of Home, or find lots more recipes at Reservation for Two.
If cooking isn't your thing or you're concerned about maintaining a nutritious diet, Kendal Northern Ohio has you covered when you choose to join. Kendal at Oberlin residents can enjoy delicious meals nutritiously prepared by our expert chefs in the dining rooms and Kendal at Home members can choose to have them delivered. For more information, contact us today.