The number of centenarians in the world is growing (see our previous post). Advances in medicine and technology are making it possible not only for people to live longer but for people to enjoy a better quality of life as they age. Vibrant retirement communities like Kendal at Oberlin and comprehensive support services such as those offered by Kendal at Home and Senior Independence program have taken the lead in providing the resources, support, and caring community that are so important to enjoying life as the number of birthday candles increase.
When Caring.com asked American centenarians for tips on living past 100, heres the advice they offered:
- Life is a gift. Wake up every day and get busy.
- Focus on the good times. Dont dwell on the tough times.
- Bacon? You bet! In other words, the older you get; the more life is about quality. Dont deny yourself the things that bring you pleasure.
- Find a good doctor, heed his advice, and schedule regular checkups.
- Decide to be content. The secret of life is not having what you want but wanting what you have.
- Forgive. Life is too short (even at 100) to hold a grudge.
- Serve others. Great joy is found in giving; and great satisfaction, in knowing you are needed.
- Dance. Celebrate life and the joy of being alive!
To meet the centenarians interviewed and read their stories, click here to watch the slide show on MSN.com. To see what Kendal at Home members are saying about their continuing care community without walls, click here.
Photo: Robin Oldfield