There is certainly a place for tradition in the holiday season. You’ve likely passed on family favorite recipes and traditions to your children and grandchildren. And you may decorate your home with the same treasured keepsakes every year. But perhaps trying some new ideas could add some sparkle and spice to your holidays. One of the best places to look for new ideas is Pinterest, a pinboard-style social media website that specializes in sharing inspiring photos.
Here, we take a look at a few ideas older adults can find in abundance by searching Pinterest to make this holiday season even more special:
- Recipes: In addition to the usual sweets and treats you bake this holiday season, you may find some new goodies to try on Pinterest. Browse through cute and tasty holiday cookies,cakes, candies, drinks, and snacks.
- Crafts: Whether you’re looking to create unique ornaments for your Christmas tree or you’d like to design some classy homemade decorations for your home, Pinterest is a great place to browse clever crafting ideas. You can look up general holiday crafts to browse a myriad of options or search for specific projects in sewing, painting, or woodworking.
- Decorating: You likely already have holiday decorations you love and display every year. You can add to your collection or display decorations in a different way this year using ideas from Pinterest. Check out decorating ideas for your whole family room or focus in on your holiday dinner table.
- Gift Ideas: Have hard-to-buy-for friends and relatives? You can find unique gift ideas on Pinterest. With a little time and inspiration, you could even wow your loved ones with handmade gifts this year.
- Gift Wrapping: Once you have the perfect gift, why not give it a beautiful wrapping? Fancy ribbons, bows, and decorations can take a present from plain to extraordinary.
- Family Photos: Many families use holiday time to gather for a family portrait. You can get ideas on how to dress or pose for these photos by browsing Pinterest. These ideas can be especially fun (and cute!) for photos of young grandchildren.
- Holiday Greetings: If you’re used to buying holiday greeting cards, you might consider a more personal message to family and friends this year by taking the time to craft some cards of your own. Use this opportunity to show off your creative flare!
Interested in other holiday projects not listed here? Try your own Pinterest searches to see what you can find! Subscribe to the Kendal Northern Ohio blog for more social media and holiday tips.