When we find ourselves with leisure time, it can be all too tempting to curl up on the couch with a book or to watch a movie. However, studies have shown getting mild physical activity during leisure time can decrease the risk of mobility limitations as you age. Some studies have even found that leisure time physical activity can increase your lifespan.
If that’s not enough to motivate you to get active during your leisure time, we have a few ideas to get you started. Next time you find yourself with some extra time, try one of these physical activities.
- Go on a bike ride. You don’t have to bike far or fast to reap the benefits of this low-impact activity. Find a trail or map a path around your neighborhood—just remember to wear a helmet.
- Play a round of golf. Whether you’re new to the links or a seasoned player, you can find a course that suits your level of experience. Or just spend some time at the driving range.
- Do some yard work. You’ll kill two birds with one stone—cross an item off of your to-do list while also doing something good for your health.
- Play a game of tennis. Lobbying the ball back and forth will get your body moving and your heart rate up.
- Go for a walk. Your leisure time activity doesn’t have to be strenuous. Simply getting out and moving for a bit can make a big difference in your health.
- Take a swim. Moving through water is easy on your joints, but effective for muscle toning. Even walking in a pool can prove to be a good workout.
- Clean your house. Chores like vacuuming and dusting can actually be a hidden workout.
- Play with your grandchildren. Teach your grandchildren the importance of staying active: Spend your time together moving. Check out this post for some ideas.
- Go window-shopping. Walking around town or an outdoor shopping center is a great way to get some activity while also enjoying your leisure time. Invite a friend to enjoy some socialization at the same time.
Not only will you get to enjoy some active relaxation with each of these activities, but you can make a big difference in your long term health. How do you stay active in your leisure time? Share with us in the comment section!