As more and more states begin slowly reopening, you may be ready to get back to some of the activities you enjoy. Or you may be feeling a little anxious about getting back out into the community. Whatever the case, it’s important to keep in mind that just because things are reopening, it doesn’t mean the risk from coronavirus has disappeared.
The CDC released new information for how to safely reopen establishments, however, because older adults are among those at high risk for complications, it’s still recommended you practice social distancing, avoid large crowds and wash your hands after returning from public places.
If you do go out, be aware of these tips to remain safe and healthy:
Eating at Restaurants: Many public health experts believe restaurants are one of the most difficult places to practice social distancing. Experts advise that those over age 65 with chronic lung conditions stay away from restaurants until there is a COVID-19 vaccine.
If you’d still like to go out to eat, Dr. David Aronoff, director of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, recommends calling ahead or visiting the establishment’s website to get a feel for how they’re operating. There should be at least 6 feet between tables, employees should be wearing masks and management should be screening for symptoms daily.
Experts agree that enjoying a meal from your favorite restaurant via takeout or delivery is still the safest option.
Shopping: You should still employ the same safety measures you use at the grocery store for any other retail establishment you enter. That means wearing a mask, practicing social distancing and not touching your face.
Getting a Haircut: If you choose to visit a salon or barbershop, choose one where the employees are wearing masks. Also, choose one that offers appointment-only options to avoid waiting and make sure it’s also limiting capacity.
Cleaning Your Home
When you return home or if you have visitors to your home, you should disinfect surfaces. Here is a list of cleaning products from the FDA that are effective in killing COVID-19:
- Fantastic All-Purpose Cleaner
- Windex Disinfectant Cleaner
- Comet Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner
- Fantastic Multisurface Disinfectant Cleaner
- Lysol Bathroom Cleaner
- Super Sani-Cloth Germicidal Disposable Wipes
- Sani-Cloth Bleach Germicidal Disposable Wipes
- Lysol Disinfecting Wipes
- Lysol Cling & Fresh Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Cleaner Spray
- Clorox Multi-Surface Cleaner + Bleach
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
- Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach
- Lysol Heavy Duty Cleaner Disinfectant Concentrate
- Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Wipes
- Lysol Clean & Fresh Multisurface Cleaner
- Lysol Disinfectant Spray